Roasted Spaghetti Squash with Meatballs
- 1 spaghetti squash 3 lbs, halved and seeded
- 1/3 cup bulgur
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1 lb lean ground beef or your favorite ground meat
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp dried Italian seasoning crushed
- 3 cans fire roasted crushed tomatoes 14.5 ounce cans, undrained
- 1 tsp sugar optional, or stevia
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper optional
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- snipped fresh basil optional
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly coat inside of the spaghetti squash with cooking spray. Place squash halves, cut sides down, on a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Bake about 50 minutes or until squash is soft. Let cool slightly. Use a fork to separate the strands of squash.
- Meanwhile, for meatballs, place bulgur in a large bowl. Pour the boiling water over bulgur; let stand about 20 minutes or until most of the water is absorbed. Add egg, ground beef, garlic, and 1 teaspoon of the Italian seasoning. Mix to combine. Shape into 1-inch meatballs.
- Lightly coat a very large skillet with cooking spray; heat skillet over medium-high heat. Add meatballs to hot skillet; cook until browned, turning occasionally to brown evenly. Add tomatoes, sugar, crushed red pepper (if desired), the salt, and the remaining 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 7 to 10 minutes or until sauce starts to thicken and meatballs are cooked through (160°F).*
- Serve meatballs and sauce over squash. Top with grated Parmesan cheese. If desired, sprinkle with basil.
*The internal color of a meatball is not a reliable doneness indicator. A beef meatball cooked to 160°F is safe, regardless of color. To measure the doneness of a meatball, insert an instant-read thermometer into the center of the meatball. Photo by Andy Lyons The original recipe can found at: https://www.bhg.com/recipe/roasted-spaghetti-squash-with-meatballs-1/