Not a typical Thanksgiving dish, but you will want to clear a spot for this on your table!
Spaghetti Squash Mac and Cheese
- 1 large spaghetti squash 4 lbs
- 3 tbsp butter or coconut oil
- 3 tbsp whole wheat flour or spelt flour
- 2 cups whole milk or your choice of milk
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp onion or garlic powder
- ground pepper to taste
- 1 cup hard cheese
- red pepper flakes to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 F degrees F and line a baking sheet with unbleached parchment paper.
- Wash squash, cut in half lengthwise, and remove seeds with a spoon. Punch randomly with a fork, place cut side down on the previously prepared baking sheet and bake for 40-50 minutes.
- Remove squash from the oven, let cool until it's safe to the touch and separate into strands with a fork. Cut into 2” strands using kitchen scissors. Set aside.
- In the meanwhile, preheat medium pot or dutch oven on low-medium heat and melt butter or oil. Whisk in flour until small lumps form.
- Add milk and keep whisking until smooth.
- Add salt, onion powder and pepper; whisk and let simmer for about 3-4 minutes or until sauce has slightly thickened.
- Add cheese and whisk again until smooth.
- Add squash and mix gently with a spoon to combine. Cover and let squash warm through for about 5 minutes. Serve hot.
Store: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 - 4 days. Do not freeze.