Start your New Year with something different than what you may have had before!
Zucchini, asparagus and mint soup
- 1.5 cups asparagus about 2 bunches, trimmed
- 2 1/4 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil plus extra to drizzle
- 1 bunch spring onions thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves thinly sliced
- 4 1/4 cups green zucchini roughly chopped
- 8 cups vegitable or chicken stock
- 4 zucchini flowers stalks thinly sliced, flowers reserved
- 1/2 bunch mint leaves picked
- juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1/3 cup greek yogurt
- thinly sliced long red chilli and bread to serve
- Cut the tips off the asparagus and set aside until needed. Roughly chop the stalks.
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan with a lid over medium heat. Add spring onion and garlic, and gently fry, stirring occasionally, for 5-10 minutes until soft. Add asparagus stalk, zucchini and stock, then increase heat to high. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook, covered, for 20 minutes or until very tender.
- Remove from the heat and carefully blitz with a stick blender until smooth. Season, then return pan to low heat. Stir in the asparagus tips and tear in zucchini flowers, then increase heat to high and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 2 minutes or until tips have softened.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in a small frypan over high heat. Add the sliced zucchini flower stalks and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until slightly tender and golden. Remove from heat and stir through the mint leaves and lemon juice.
- Divide the soup among serving bowls. Top with a dollop of creme fraiche, fried zucchini stalk mixture and chilli. Drizzle with olive oil and serve with bread.