Spring Vegetable Shepherd’s Pie
Here is a new take on Sheperd's Pie that you may have not considered before! Instead of mashed potatoes, this recipe uses cauliflower!You can find the original recipe at cookinglight.com or check out the recipe section to find some of the previous recipes we've posted.
- 24 oz frozen riced cauliflower
- 6.5 oz light garlic-and-herb spreadable cheese exclude or try greek yogurt instead
- 1 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 cups carrots chopped
- 1 3/4 cups zucchini chopped
- 1 cup yellow onion chopped
- 1 cup sweet peas
- 3/4 tsp kosher or sea salt
- 3 tbsp3 all-purpose flour substitute with almond flour
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves plus more for garnish
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted chicken stock
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Preheat broiler to high with oven rack in upper middle position.
- Microwave cauliflower according to package directions until tender. Combine cauliflower and cheese in a food processor; process until smooth.
- Heat oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high. Add turkey, and cook, breaking up with a spoon, until turkey begins to brown, about 4 minutes. Add carrots, zucchini, onion, and peas; stir to combine. Add salt, and cook, stirring often, 4 minutes. Add flour and 1 teaspoon thyme; stir to combine. Increase heat to high, and add chicken stock. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens. Spoon cauliflower mixture over turkey and vegetable mixture in skillet, smoothing top with a spoon; sprinkle with pepper.
- Broil until cauliflower topping is golden brown in spots, 3 to 4 minutes. Sprinkle with additional thyme leaves. Serve immediately.